Rainbow Services

The Rainbows programme supports children and young people affected by loss because of bereavement, separation or divorce. The service is available in local communities and selected schools throughout Ireland. The Rainbows programme may be running in your child’s school. If the programme is not running in your child’s school you can look for the list of community centres which are running the programme to find a suitable centre for your child to do the programme. Follow the link below and click on your area. Community centres are listed on the left and schools are listed on the right of the page.


Play Therapy

Play provides a way for children to express their experiences and feelings through a natural, self-guided, self-healing process. As children’s experiences and knowledge are often communicated through play, it becomes an important vehicle for them to know and accept themselves and others. Play therapy may be helpful for your child with EB or for their siblings. Play Therapy Ireland and the Irish Play Therapy Association can recommend a therapist in your area if you email them.

Play Therapy Ireland: [email protected]

Irish Play Therapy Association: [email protected]


There are several counsellors working in Co. Tipperary. You can find a counsellor who suits your needs and location by visiting the Irish Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (IACP) or the Irish Association of Humanistic and Integrative Psychotherapy (IAHIP) websites. Both websites provide a handy tool which helps you to find a therapist in your area and gives you details of the work which they do. You can also contact both bodies by telephone to enquire about local counsellors.


Website: www.iahip.org/find-a-therapist

Telephone: 01-2841665


Website: www.iacp.ie

Telephone: 01-2303536


Barnardos run Family Support Services such as parenting programmes, after school groups and family welfare conferences which offer all family members a chance to gather, discuss and make future plans to help your child. Barnardos offer advice and support in a non-judgemental way. You can refer your child yourself by contacting your local centre or you can ask your public health nurse or GP to refer your child. Contact your local service centre or visit Barnardos website for more information. Follow the link below to find your local service.

Website: www.barnardos.ie/contact/barnardos-service-centres-contact-details.html

Enable Ireland

Services and respite are available to children living in North Tipperary who have a physical disability. Some children who have EB may benefit from this service. Children can be referred to the service by their GP or hospital consultant or through your Public Health Nurse. It is important to include as much information about your child’s condition as possible and to include any medical reports which have been written about your child when you are making a referral. There is currently no Enable Ireland service based in South Tipperary. For more information or to see if your child is eligible you can visit www.enableireland.ie and contact Enable Ireland in North Tipperary directly.

Address: Enable Ireland, Belmont, St Conlon’s Road, Nenagh, Co. Tipperary

Telephone: 067-40130

Community Health Centres

At your local community health centre, you can apply for services, meet your Public Health Nurse and find information about health and personal social services. The Public Health Nurse is an important person in providing care in the community for people with EB. In order to contact your Public Health Nurse contact your nearest centre and ask for the Public Health Nurse who covers your address.

                          Area                        Telephone
Ardfinnan 052-7466134
Ballina 061-376321
Ballingarry 052-9154243
Ballymacarbry 052-6136456
Ballyporeen 052-7467487
Ballysloe, Thurles 056-8834341
Bansha 062-54263
Borrisokane 067-27106
Borrisoleigh 0504-51423 / 0504-51974
Cahir 052-7441044
Cappawhite 062-75126
Carrick-on-Suir 051-645191
Cashel 062-61022 / 062-61022
Clogheen 052-7465315
Clonea, Carrick-on-Suir 051-646212
Clonmel 052-6177000
Cloughjordan 0505-42307
Dundrum 062-71524
Emly 062-57200
Fethard 052-6131251
Galbally 062-37072
Killenaule 052-9156481
Kilsheelan 052-6133541
Littleton 0504-44727
Moyne Village 0504-34852
Mullinahone 052-9153287
New Inn, Cahir 052-7462416
Newcastle, Clonmel 052-6136182
Newport 061-378299
Portroe 067-23466
Rathcabbin 0509-39043
Rearcross 062-79152
Roscrea 0505-21498
Templemore 0504-31561
Thurles 0504-27600
Tipperary (St Vincent’s) 062-82100
Toomevara 067-26212
Tyone, Nenagh 067-46400

Personal Assistant Service

The HSE will sometimes provide a Personal Assistant service for people with physical disabilities who are over the age of 18. Personal Assistants work practically with individuals with disabilities to enable access to the community and to increase the person’s ability to live independently in the community. The work the Personal Assistant does is led by the individual they are working with. Currently there is very little funding for the Personal Assistant service and it is becoming increasingly difficult to obtain access to the service. However, if you feel that you or a family member could benefit from this service you can contact your Local Health Office to see if the service is being provided in your area. Below is a link to the list of Local Health Offices in Ireland.


Supplementary Welfare

Supplementary welfare can be applied for during clinic times in the below local offices. You must attend the clinic which is closest to your home. You can phone in advance to make an appointment if this is more convenient for you. Supplementary welfare includes exceptional needs payments, urgent needs payments, dietary needs payments, back to school clothing and footwear allowance, school meals programme, rent supplement, mortgage interest supplement, humanitarian assistance scheme and basic supplementary welfare allowance. In South Tipperary, if you are applying for rent supplement you must contact the Central Rents Unit for South Tipperary regardless of where in South Tipperary you are living. For all other forms of supplementary welfare you must visit the centre closest to your home. In North Tipperary you must attend the office which is closest to your home for all forms of supplementary welfare.

List of local offices: www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/otheroffice/community-welfare-office-tipperary.aspx


The housing department advises on and assists with queries on social and affordable housing, housing standards, rents, adaptation for disability etc. You can contact them using the below information. The housing department also has an excellent website which contains a lot of useful information on housing. As there are a number of offices which deal with housing in Co. Tipperary you should ring customer services, explain what your query is and they will redirect you to the appropriate housing office.

Phone:  0761-065000
Opening Hours: Monday-Friday 9.30am – 4.30pm

Website: www.tipperarycoco.ie/housing

If you are living in private rented accommodation you can contact Threshold or the Private Residential Tenancies Board (PRTB). Both bodies also have a helpful Frequently Asked Questions page on their websites.

Threshold – Frequently asked questions: www.threshold.ie/advice/

Phone number:  1890 334 334

Private Residential Tenancies Board – Frequently asked questions: www.prtb.ie/tenants/helpful-info

Phone number: 0818 30 30 37

Citizens Information

Citizens Information give free confidential and independent information on a range of issues including social welfare services, housing, health, family and relationships, education and employment. This information can be accessed online, on the telephone or in person at local centres across the county. There is also a centre located in Our Lady’s Hospital, Crumlin which is open on Tuesday and Thursday mornings from 9:30am-12:30pm which might be helpful for you and your family.

Online: www.citizensinformation.ie

Telephone: 0761-074000 (Monday to Friday, 9am to 8pm)

List of local centres: centres.citizensinformation.ie/county.php?county=tipperary


The Money Advice and Budgeting Service can give you advice on how to handle the extra costs involved in caring for a child with EB. They have a national helpline which is open from Monday to Friday 9am to 8pm and they also have 4 local centres located in Clonmel, Tipperary, Nenagh and Thurles.

Website: www.mabs.ie

National Helpline: 0761-072000

List of local centres: www.mabs.ie/contact-mabs/tipperary/