Rainbow Services

The Rainbows programme supports children and young people affected by loss because of bereavement, separation or divorce. The service is available in local communities and selected schools throughout Ireland. The Rainbows programme may be running in your child’s school. If the programme is not running in your child’s school you can look for the list of community centres which are running the programme to find a suitable centre for your child to do the programme. Follow the link below and click on your area. Community centres are listed on the left and schools are listed on the right of the page.


Play Therapy

Play provides a way for children to express their experiences and feelings through a natural, self-guided, self-healing process. As children’s experiences and knowledge are often communicated through play, it becomes an important vehicle for them to know and accept themselves and others. Play therapy may be helpful for your child with EB or for their siblings. Play Therapy Ireland and the Irish Play Therapy Association can recommend a therapist in your area if you email them.

Play Therapy Ireland: [email protected]

Irish Play Therapy Association: [email protected]


There are many counsellors working in Co. Mayo. You can find a counsellor who suits your needs and location by visiting the Irish Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (IACP) or the Irish Association of Humanistic and Integrative Psychotherapy (IAHIP) websites. Both websites provide a handy tool which helps you to find a therapist in your area and gives you details of the work which they do. You can also contact both bodies by telephone to enquire about local counsellors.


Website: www.iahip.org/find-a-therapist

Telephone: 01-2841665


Website: www.iacp.ie

Telephone: 01-2303536


Barnardos run Family Support Services such as parenting programmes, after school groups and family welfare conferences which offer all family members a chance to gather, discuss and make future plans to help your child. Barnardos offer advice and support in a non-judgemental way. You can refer your child yourself by contacting your local centre or you can ask your public health nurse or GP to refer your child. Contact your local service centre or visit Barnardos website for more information. Follow the link below to find your local service. Website: www.barnardos.ie/contact/barnardos-service-centres-contact-details.html

There is currently no Barnardos service in Co. Mayo

Enable Ireland

Services are available to children living in the South Mayo area who have a physical disability. Some children who have EB may benefit from this service. Children must be referred to the service by their GP, hospital consultant or Public Health Nurse. It is important to include as much information about your child’s condition as possible and to include any medical reports which have been written about your child when you are making a referral. Under exceptional circumstances it may be possible to attend services if you are living outside the South Mayo area. For more information, and to find out if your child is eligible for services, you can visit www.enableireland.ie or you can contact Enable Ireland in Castlebar.

Address: Enable Ireland, Unit 12, N5 Business Park, Moneen, Castlebar

Telephone: 094-9060234

Email: [email protected]

Community Health Centres

At your local community health centre, you can apply for services, meet your Public Health Nurse and find information about health and personal social services. The Public Health Nurse is an important person in providing care in the community for people with EB. In order to contact your Public Health Nurse contact the centre which is closest to where you live and ask for the Public Health Nurse who covers your address.

Area Telephone
Acaill 098-45215 / 098-45395
Eachleim 097-85701
Balla 094-9365564 / 094-9365146
Ballina 096-24564 / 096-24532
Ballindine 094-9364158
Ballinrobe 094-9541380
Ballintubber 094-9030758
Ballycastle 096-43058
Ballycroy 098-49176
Ballyhaunis 094-963 0491
Ballyvary 094-903 1424
Bangor Erris 097-83486
Beal an Mhuirthead 097-82048
Castlebar 094-9022333
Cong 094-9546842
Charlestown 094-9254205
Clare Island 098-26250
Claremorris 094-9371638
Crossmolina 096-31400
Finney 094-9541380
Foxford 094-9256189
Gaoth Saile 097-86813
Gleann na Muaidhe 097-87958
Hollymount 094-954 0060
Inishturk 098-45541
Inis Bigil 098-49176
Kilkelly 094-9367529
Killala 096-32088
Kilmovee 094-9349141
Kiltimagh 094-9381834
Louisburgh 098-66166
Newport 098-41651
Shrule 093-31248
Swinford 094-9251900
Tuar Mhic Eadaigh 094-9544230
Westport 098-25885

Personal Assistant Service

The HSE will sometimes provide a Personal Assistant service for people with physical disabilities who are over the age of 18. Personal Assistants work practically with individuals with disabilities to enable access to the community and to increase the person’s ability to live independently in the community. The work the Personal Assistant does is led by the individual they are working with. Currently there is very little funding for the Personal Assistant service and it is becoming increasingly difficult to obtain access to the service. However, if you feel that you or a family member could benefit from this service you can contact your Local Health Office to see if the service is being provided in your area. Below is a link to the list of Local Health Offices in Ireland.


Supplementary Welfare

Supplementary welfare can be applied for during specific times in the below local offices. You must attend the clinic which is in your catchment area. If your area is not listed below you should attend the nearest clinic to you. There are set times for each area so you must check the time for your area. Supplementary welfare includes exceptional needs payments, urgent needs payments, dietary needs payments, back to school clothing and footwear allowance, school meals programme, rent supplement, mortgage interest supplement, humanitarian assistance scheme and basic supplementary welfare allowance.

List of local centres: www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/otheroffice/community-welfare-office-mayo.aspx


The housing department advises on and assists with queries on social and affordable housing, housing standards, rents, housing repairs, adaptation for disability etc. You can contact them with your query using the below information. The housing department also has an excellent website which contains a lot of useful information on housing.

Website: www.mayococo.ie/en/Services/Housing

Address: Housing Section, Ground Floor, Mayo Co. Council, Aras an Chontae, The Mall, Castlebar

Opening Hours: 9:30am-1pm & 2pm-4:30pm

Telephone: 094-9024444

Email: [email protected]

If you are living in private rented accommodation you can contact Threshold or the Private Residential Tenancies Board (PRTB). Both bodies also have a helpful Frequently Asked Questions page on their websites.

Threshold – Frequently asked questions: www.threshold.ie/advice

Phone number:  1890 334 334

Private Residential Tenancies Board – Frequently asked questions: www.prtb.ie/tenants/helpful-info

Phone number: 0818 30 30 37

Citizens Information

Citizens Information give free confidential and independent information on a range of issues including social welfare services, housing, health, family and relationships, education and employment. This information can be accessed online, on the telephone or in person at local centres across the county. There is also a centre located in Our Lady’s Hospital, Crumlin which is open on Tuesday and Thursday mornings from 9:30am-12:30pm which might be helpful for you and your family.

Online: www.citizensinformation.ie

National Telephone Line: 0761-074000 (Monday to Friday, 9am to 8pm)

List of local centres: centres.citizensinformation.ie/county.php?county=mayo


The Money Advice and Budgeting Service can give you advice on how to handle the extra costs involved in caring for a child with EB. They have a national helpline which is open from Monday to Friday 9am to 8pm and they also have 2 local centres located in Ballina and Castlebar.

Website: www.mabs.ie

National Helpline: 0761-072000

List of local centres: www.mabs.ie/contact-mabs/mayo/