Rainbow Services

The Rainbows programme supports children and young people affected by loss because of bereavement, separation or divorce. The service is available in local communities and selected schools throughout Ireland. The Rainbows programme may be running in your child’s school. If the programme is not running in your child’s school you can look for the list of community centres which are running the programme to find a suitable centre for your child to do the programme. Follow the link below and click on your area. Community centres are listed on the left and schools are listed on the right of the page.


Play Therapy

Play provides a way for children to express their experiences and feelings through a natural, self-guided, self-healing process. As children’s experiences and knowledge are often communicated through play, it becomes an important vehicle for them to know and accept themselves and others. Play therapy may be helpful for your child with EB or for their siblings. Play Therapy Ireland and the Irish Play Therapy Association can recommend a therapist in your area if you email them.

Play Therapy Ireland: [email protected]

Irish Play Therapy Association: [email protected]


There are many counsellors working in Co. Galway. You can find a counsellor who suits your needs and location by visiting the Irish Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (IACP) or the Irish Association of Humanistic and Integrative Psychotherapy (IAHIP) websites. Both websites provide a handy tool which helps you to find a therapist in your area and gives you details of the work which they do. You can also contact both bodies by telephone to enquire about local counsellors.


Website: www.iahip.org/find-a-therapist

Telephone: 01-2841665


Website: www.iacp.ie

Telephone: 01-2303536


Barnardos run Family Support Services such as parenting programmes, after school groups and family welfare conferences which offer all family members a chance to gather, discuss and make future plans to help your child. Barnardos offer advice and support in a non-judgemental way. You can refer your child yourself by contacting your local centre or you can ask your public health nurse or GP to refer your child. Contact your local service centre or visit Barnardos website for more information. Follow the link below to find your local service. Website: www.barnardos.ie/contact/barnardos-service-centres-contact-details.html

There is currently no Barnardos service in Co. Galway

Enable Ireland

Services are available to children living in Co. Galway who have a physical disability. Some children who have EB may benefit from this service. Children can be referred to the service by their GP, hospital consultant, public health nurse or parent/guardian. It is important to include as much information about your child’s condition as possible and to include any medical reports which have been written about your child when you are making a referral. For more information you can visit www.enableireland.ie or you can contact Enable Ireland in Galway.

Address: Enable Ireland, Seamus Quirke Road, Newcastle, Co. Galway

Telephone: 091-545800

Email: [email protected]

Community Health Centres

At your local community health centre, you can apply for services, meet your Public Health Nurse and find information about health and personal social services. The Public Health Nurse is an important person in providing care in the community for people with EB. In order to contact your Public Health Nurse contact the centre which is closest to where you live and ask for the Public Health Nurse who covers your address.

                          Area                        Telephone
Ahascragh 090-9688634
An Cheathru Rua 091-595202
Ardrahan 091-635207
Athenry 091-737300
Baile na hAbhann 091-593131
Ballinasloe 090-9642447
Ballygar 090-6624601
Ballymacward 090-9687722
Carna 095-32304
Galway City East (Doughiska) 091-336300
Clifden 095-21102
An Fhairche 094-9546174
Dunmore 093-38123
Eyrecourt 090-9675255
Galway city (Mervue) 091-753887
Glenamaddy 094-9659072
Gort 091-631325
Gorteeny 090-9749055
Headford 093-35548
Inishbofin 095-45813
Inis Mor 099-61171
Kilconnell 090-9686638
Killimor 090-9676131
Kiltormer 090-9627318
Kinvarra 091-637123
Leenane 095-42257
Leitir Mor 091-551143
Loughrea 091-847820
Milltown 093-51301
Mountbellew 090-9679260
Portumna 090-9741193
An Sraith Salach 095-34618
Rinvyle 095-43465
Ros Muc 091-574107
Roundstone 095-35851
Spideal 091-553208
Galway City (St Francis, Newcastle Road) 091-861100
Tuam (Abbeyknockmoy) 093-43512
Tuam 093-24396
Tynagh 090-9745176
Williamstown 094-9643027
Woodford 090-9749051

Personal Assistant Service

The HSE will sometimes provide a Personal Assistant service for people with physical disabilities who are over the age of 18. Personal Assistants work practically with individuals with disabilities to enable access to the community and to increase the person’s ability to live independently in the community. The work the Personal Assistant does is led by the individual they are working with. Currently there is very little funding for the Personal Assistant service and it is becoming increasingly difficult to obtain access to the service. However, if you feel that you or a family member could benefit from this service you can contact your Local Health Office to see if the service is being provided in your area. Below is a link to the list of Local Health Offices in Ireland.


Supplementary Welfare

Supplementary welfare can be applied for during specific times in the below local offices. Supplementary welfare includes exceptional needs payments, urgent needs payments, dietary needs payments, back to school clothing and footwear allowance, school meals programme, rent supplement, mortgage interest supplement, humanitarian assistance scheme and basic supplementary welfare allowance. In Galway there are 5 offices where you can go to apply for supplementary welfare but you must attend the office which covers your catchment area. Catchment areas are listed below. If your area is not listed specifically look for the area which is nearest to you.

List of local offices: www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/otheroffice/community-welfare-office-galway.aspx


The housing department advises on and assists with queries on social and affordable housing, housing standards, housing adaptation for disability etc. In Galway there is a separate housing department for Galway City and Galway County Council areas so you can contact the one which covers your area. Both housing departments also have excellent websites where a lot of information can be obtained. Galway City Council also have a public counter dedicated to housing which is open from 9:30am-1pm Monday to Friday.

Galway City Council Housing Section

Email: [email protected]

Website: www.galwaycity/housing

Public Counter: Housing Public Counter, City Hall, College Road, Galway

Telephone: 091-894370

Galway County Council Housing Section

Email: [email protected]

Website: www.galway.ie/en/services/housing/

Address: Housing, County Hall, Prospect Hill, Galway

Telephone: 091-509300

If you are living in private rented accommodation you can contact Threshold or the Private Residential Tenancies Board (PRTB). Both bodies also have a helpful Frequently Asked Questions page on their websites.

Threshold – Frequently asked questions: www.threshold.ie/advice/

Phone number:  1890 334 334

Private Residential Tenancies Board – Frequently asked questions: www.prtb.ie/tenants/helpful-info

Phone number: 0818 30 30 37

Citizens Information

Citizens Information give free confidential and independent information on a range of issues including social welfare services, housing, health, family and relationships, education and employment. This information can be accessed online, on the telephone or in person at local centres across the county. There is also a centre located in Our Lady’s Hospital, Crumlin which is open on Tuesday and Thursday mornings from 9:30am-12:30pm which might be helpful for you and your family.

Online: www.citizensinformation.ie

National Telephone Line: 0761-074000 (Monday to Friday, 9am to 8pm)

List of local centres: centres.citizensinformation.ie/county.php?county=galway


The Money Advice and Budgeting Service can give you advice on how to handle the extra costs involved in caring for a child with EB. They have a national helpline which is open from Monday to Friday 9am to 8pm and they also have 2 centres across Co. Galway located in Tuam and Galway city.

Website: www.mabs.ie

National Helpline: 0761-072000

List of local centres: www.mabs.ie/contact-mabs/galway/