Rainbow Services

The Rainbows programme supports children and young people affected by loss because of bereavement, separation or divorce. The service is available in local communities and selected schools throughout Ireland. The Rainbows programme may be running in your child’s school. If the programme is not running in your child’s school you can look for the list of community centres which are running the programme to find a suitable centre for your child to do the programme. Follow the link below and click on your area. Community centres are listed on the left and schools are listed on the right of the page.


Play Therapy

Play provides a way for children to express their experiences and feelings through a natural, self-guided, self-healing process. As children’s experiences and knowledge are often communicated through play, it becomes an important vehicle for them to know and accept themselves and others. Play therapy may be helpful for your child with EB or for their siblings. Play Therapy Ireland and the Irish Play Therapy Association can recommend a therapist in your area if you email them.

Play Therapy Ireland: [email protected]

Irish Play Therapy Association: [email protected]


There are many counsellors working in Dun Laoghaire Rathdown. You can find a counsellor who suits your needs and location by visiting the Irish Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (IACP) or the Irish Association of Humanistic and Integrative Psychotherapy (IAHIP) websites. Both websites provide a handy tool which helps you to find a therapist in your area and gives you details of the work which they do. You can also contact both bodies by telephone to enquire about local counsellors.


Website: www.iahip.org/find-a-therapist

Telephone: 01-2841665


Website: www.iacp.ie

Telephone: 01-2303536


Barnardos run Family Support Services such as parenting programmes, after school groups and family welfare conferences which offer all family members a chance to gather, discuss and make future plans to help your child. Barnardos offer advice and support in a non-judgemental way. You can refer your child yourself by contacting your local centre or you can ask your public health nurse or GP to refer your child. Contact your local service centre or visit Barnardos website for more information. Follow the link below to find your local service.

Website: www.barnardos.ie/contact/barnardos-service-centres-contact-details.html

Enable Ireland

Services are available to children living in Dun Laoghaire Rathdown who have a physical disability. Some children who have EB may benefit from this service. Services are based in Bray and Sandymount and your child must attend services in the area which is covered by their public health nurse. Children must be referred to the service by their GP, hospital consultant, public health nurse or parent/guardian. It is important to include as much information about your child’s condition as possible and to include any medical reports which have been written about your child when you are making a referral. For more information and to see if your child is eligible you can visit www.enableireland.ie or you can contact Enable Ireland in Bray or Sandymount.


Address: Enable Ireland, Marino Centre, Church Road, Bray

Telephone: 01-2867543

Email: [email protected]


Address: Enable Ireland, Sandymount Avenue, Sandymount, Dublin 4

Telephone: 01-2615900

Email: [email protected]

Community Health Centres

At your local community health centre, you can apply for services, meet your Public Health Nurse and find information about health and personal social services. The Public Health Nurse is an important person in providing care in the community for people with EB. In order to contact your Public Health Nurse contact the centre which is closest to where you live and ask for the Public Health Nurse who covers your address.

                          Area                        Telephone
Balally/Dundrum/Milltown 01-2924500
Ballinteer/Sandyford 01-2164500
Blackrock 01-2882980
Cabinteely 01-2896195
Churchtown 01-4916400
Dalkey 01-2859291
Dun Laoghaire 01-2808471
Leopardstown 01-2996600
Loughlinstown 01-2822122
Rathfarnham 01-4933431
Sallynoggin 01-2800786
Shankill 01-2820344
Stillorgan 01-2172918

Personal Assistant Service

The HSE will sometimes provide a Personal Assistant service for people with physical disabilities who are over the age of 18. Personal Assistants work practically with individuals with disabilities to enable access to the community and to increase the person’s ability to live independently in the community. The work the Personal Assistant does is led by the individual they are working with. Currently there is very little funding for the Personal Assistant service and it is becoming increasingly difficult to obtain access to the service. However, if you feel that you or a family member could benefit from this service you can contact your Local Health Office to see if the service is being provided in your area. Below is a link to the list of Local Health Offices in Ireland.


Supplementary Welfare

Supplementary welfare can be applied for during specific times in your local Intreo centre. If you are living in the Dundrum Rathfarnham, Churchtown or Ballinteer areas of Dun Laoghaire Rathdown you should call the Nutgrove office, in all other parts of Dun Laoghaire Rathdown you should call the Dun Laoghaire office. Supplementary welfare includes exceptional needs payments, urgent needs payments, dietary needs payments, back to school clothing and footwear allowance, school meals programme, rent supplement, mortgage interest supplement, humanitarian assistance scheme and basic supplementary welfare allowance. *In the Dundrum, Rathfarnham, Churchtown and Ballinteer areas there is a separate office for rent and mortgage interest supplement. This means that you must apply for rent/mortgage supplement separately from all other types of supplementary welfare.

List of local offices:



The housing department advises on and assists with queries on social and affordable housing, housing standards, rents, housing repairs, housing adaptation for disability etc. You can contact them with your query using the below information.

Dun Laoghaire Rathdown Housing Department

Address: Level 1, County Hall, Marine Road, Dun Laoghaire

Email: [email protected]

Public Counter Opening Hours: Monday-Friday 10am-4pm

Telephone: 01-2054700

If you are living in private rented accommodation you can contact Threshold or the Private Residential Tenancies Board (PRTB). Both bodies also have a helpful Frequently Asked Questions page on their websites.

Threshold – Frequently asked questions: www.threshold.ie/advice/

Phone number:  1890 334 334

Private Residential Tenancies Board – Frequently asked questions: www.prtb.ie/tenants/helpful-info

Phone number: 0818 30 30 37

Citizens Information

Citizens Information give free confidential and independent information on a range of issues including social welfare services, housing, health, family and relationships, education and employment. This information can be accessed online, on the telephone or in person at local centres across the city. You can attend any centre, it does not have to be the one nearest to you. There is also a centre located in Our Lady’s Hospital, Crumlin which is open on Tuesday and Thursday mornings from 9:30am-12:30pm which might be helpful for you and your family.

Online: www.citizensinformation.ie

National Telephone Line: 0761-074000 (Monday to Friday, 9am to 8pm)

List of local centres: centres.citizensinformation.ie/county.php?county=dublin


The Money Advice and Budgeting Service can give you advice on how to handle the extra costs involved in caring for a child with EB. They have a national helpline which is open from Monday to Friday 9am to 8pm and they also have 2 local centres in Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown located in Dun Laoghaire and Dundrum.

Website: www.mabs.ie

National Helpline: 0761-072000

List of local centres: www.mabs.ie/contact-mabs/dublin/