Rainbow Services

The Rainbows programme supports children and young people affected by loss because of bereavement, separation or divorce. The service is available in local communities and selected schools throughout Ireland. The Rainbows programme may be running in your child’s school. If the programme is not running in your child’s school you can look for the list of community centres which are running the programme to find a suitable centre for your child to do the programme. Follow the link below and click on your area. Community centres are listed on the left and schools are listed on the right of the page.


Play Therapy

Play provides a way for children to express their experiences and feelings through a natural, self-guided, self-healing process. As children’s experiences and knowledge are often communicated through play, it becomes an important vehicle for them to know and accept themselves and others. Play therapy may be helpful for your child with EB or for their siblings. Play Therapy Ireland and the Irish Play Therapy Association can recommend a therapist in your area if you email them.

Play Therapy Ireland: [email protected]

Irish Play Therapy Association: [email protected]


There are many counsellors working in the Dublin City Council area. You can find a counsellor who suits your needs and location by visiting the Irish Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (IACP) or the Irish Association of Humanistic and Integrative Psychotherapy (IAHIP) websites. Both websites provide a handy tool which helps you to find a therapist in your area and gives you details of the work which they do. You can also contact both bodies by telephone to enquire about local counsellors.


Website: www.iahip.org/find-a-therapist

Telephone: 01-2841665


Website: www.iacp.ie

Telephone: 01-2303536


Barnardos run Family Support Services such as parenting programmes, after school groups and family welfare conferences which offer all family members a chance to gather, discuss and make future plans to help your child. Barnardos offer advice and support in a non-judgemental way. You can refer your child yourself by contacting your local centre or you can ask your public health nurse or GP to refer your child. Contact your local service centre or visit Barnardos website for more information. Follow the link below to find your local service.

Website: www.barnardos.ie/contact/barnardos-service-centres-contact-details.html

Enable Ireland

Services are available to children living in the Dublin 4 area who have a physical disability. Some children who have EB may benefit from this service. Children must be referred to the service by their GP, hospital consultant or Public Health Nurse. Under exceptional circumstances it may be possible to attend services if you are living outside the Dublin 4 area. If you decide to send a referral form you should include as much information about your child’s condition as possible, including any medical reports on your child which you have received.  For more information, and to find out if your child is eligible for services, you can visit www.enableireland.ie or you can contact Enable Ireland in Sandymount.

Address: Enable Ireland, Sandymount Avenue, Sandymount, Dublin 4

Telephone: 01-2615900

Email: [email protected]

Community Health Centres

At your local community health centre, you can apply for services, meet your Public Health Nurse and find information about health and personal social services. The Public Health Nurse is an important person in providing care in the community for people with EB. In order to contact your Public Health Nurse contact the centre which is closest to where you live and ask for the Public Health Nurse who covers your address.

Area Telephone
Baggot Street/Sandymount 01-6699300
Ballymun 01-8467000
Cabra (Quarry Road) 01-8693700
Cathedrals/Liberties 01-7085700
Clontarf 01-8539500
Coolock 01-8164200
Crumlin (Cashel Road) 01-4555227
Crumlin (Old County Road) 01-4154700
Darndale 01-8771550
Donnybrook/Clonskeagh 01-2680380
Drimnagh 01-4556422 / 01-4556421
East Wall 01-8363422
Edenmore 01-8480666
Finglas (Seamus Ennis Road) 01-884 5000
Finglas (Wellmount) 01-8567700
Irishtown/Ringsend 01-2320600
Kilbarrack 01-8391221
Killester 01-8313143
Larkhill 01-8373796
Lisburn Street (Dublin 7) 01-873 0969
Marino 01-8333421
Millmount 01-8840920
North Clarence Street (Dublin 1) 01-8551100
North Strand 01-7072300
Pearse Street 01-6427700
Raheny 01-8310386
Ranelagh 01-4986950
Rathfarnham 01-4933431
Rathmines 01-4973547
Rialto/James Street/Coombe 01-7083200
Summerhill 01-876 5200
Terenure 01-490464

Personal Assistant Service

The HSE will sometimes provide a Personal Assistant service for people with physical disabilities who are over the age of 18. Personal Assistants work practically with individuals with disabilities to enable access to the community and to increase the person’s ability to live independently in the community. The work the Personal Assistant does is led by the individual they are working with. Currently there is very little funding for the Personal Assistant service and it is becoming increasingly difficult to obtain access to the service. However, if you feel that you or a family member could benefit from this service you can contact your Local Health Office to see if the service is being provided in your area. Below is a link to the list of Local Health Offices in Ireland.


Supplementary Welfare

Supplementary welfare includes exceptional needs payments, urgent needs payments, rent supplement, mortgage supplement, dietary needs payments, back to school clothing and footwear allowance, school meals programme and basic supplementary welfare allowance.

Supplementary welfare can be applied for during specific times at your local Community Welfare Office. You should call and make an appointment at the centre which is nearest to your home. Follow the link below to find the office which serves your area and at what times they hold their clinics.



The housing department advises on and assists with queries on social and affordable housing, housing standards, housing adaptation for disability etc. You can contact them by phone, use their helpful website or visit them in person.

Dublin City Council Housing Department

Address: Dublin City Council Housing Section, Block 1, Floor 2, Civic Offices, Wood Quay, Dublin 8

Telephone: 01-2222233

Website: www.dublincity.ie/main-menu-services/housing

If you are living in private rented accommodation you can contact Threshold or the Private Residential Tenancies Board (PRTB). Both bodies also have a helpful Frequently Asked Questions page on their websites.

Threshold – Frequently asked questions: www.threshold.ie/advice/

Phone number:  1890 334 334

Private Residential Tenancies Board – Frequently asked questions: www.prtb.ie/tenants/helpful-info

Phone number: 0818 30 30 37

Citizens Information

Citizens Information give free confidential and independent information on a range of issues including social welfare services, housing, health, family and relationships, education and employment. This information can be accessed online, on the telephone or in person at local centres across the city. You can attend any centre, it does not have to be the one nearest to you. All centres in the Dublin City Council area are listed if you follow the below link. There is also a centre located in Our Lady’s Hospital, Crumlin which is open on Tuesday and Thursday mornings from 9:30am-12:30pm which might be helpful for you and your family.

Link to list of local centres: centres.citizensinformation.ie/county.php?county=dublin

Online: www.citizensinformation.ie

National Telephone Line: 0761-074000 (Monday to Friday, 9am to 8pm)


The Money Advice and Budgeting Service can give you advice on how to handle the extra costs involved in caring for a child with EB. They have a national helpline which is open from Monday to Friday 9am to 8pm and they have local branches across the city. Follow the link below to find your nearest MABS branch.

Link to list of local centres: www.mabs.ie/contact-mabs/dublin

Website: www.mabs.ie

National Helpline: 0761-072000