Rainbow Services

The Rainbows programme supports children and young people affected by loss because of bereavement, separation or divorce. The service is available in local communities and selected schools throughout Ireland. The Rainbows programme may be running in your child’s school. If the programme is not running in your child’s school you can look for the list of community centres which are running the programme to find a suitable centre for your child to do the programme. Follow the link below and click on your area. Community centres are listed on the left and schools are listed on the right of the page.


Play Therapy

Play provides a way for children to express their experiences and feelings through a natural, self-guided, self-healing process. As children’s experiences and knowledge are often communicated through play, it becomes an important vehicle for them to know and accept themselves and others. Play therapy may be helpful for your child with EB or for their siblings. Play Therapy Ireland and the Irish Play Therapy Association can recommend a therapist in your area if you email them.

Play Therapy Ireland: [email protected]

Irish Play Therapy Association: [email protected]


There are several counsellors working in Co. Donegal. You can find a counsellor who suits your needs and location by visiting the Irish Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (IACP) or the Irish Association of Humanistic and Integrative Psychotherapy (IAHIP) websites. Both websites provide a handy tool which helps you to find a therapist in your area and gives you details of the work which they do. You can also contact both bodies by telephone to enquire about local counsellors.


Website: www.iahip.org/find-a-therapist

Telephone: 01-2841665


Website: www.iacp.ie

Telephone: 01-2303536


Barnardos run Family Support Services such as parenting programmes, after school groups and family welfare conferences which offer all family members a chance to gather, discuss and make future plans to help your child. Barnardos offer advice and support in a non-judgemental way. You can refer your child yourself by contacting your local centre or you can ask your public health nurse or GP to refer your child. Contact your local service centre or visit Barnardos website for more information. Follow the link below to find your local service. Website:


There is currently no Barnardos service in Co. Donegal

Enable Ireland

Currently there is no Enable Ireland service centre in Co. Donegal. Under exceptional circumstances your GP may be able to refer your child to a service in a neighbouring county but this is a rare occurrence as access is determined according to Public Health Nurse catchment area.

Community Health Centres

At your local community health centre you can meet your Public Health Nurse and apply for health and social services. The Public Health Nurse is an important person in providing care in the community for people with EB. In order to contact your Public Health Nurse contact your nearest centre and ask for the Public Health Nurse who covers your address.

Area Telephone
Árainn Mhór 074-9520535
Ballyshannon 071-9581334
An Bun Beag 074-9532445
Bundoran 071-9841445
Carndonagh 074-9374644 / 074-9374262
An Charraic 074-9739380
Castlefinn 074-9146694
Cloghan 074-9133031
Clonmany 074-9376173
Convoy 074-9147277
Na Doirí Beaga 074-9532334
Doochary 074-9546175
Dunfanaghy 074-9136527
Dungloe 074-9521933 / 074-9521099
Dunkineely 074-9737106
Fahan 074-9360277
An Fálcarrach 074-9135491
Glenties 074-9551329
Kilcar 074-9739346
Killybegs 074-9731148
Lifford 074-9141024
Manorcunningham 074-9157230
Milford 074-9153144
Mountcharles 074-9735100
Moville 074-9382049
Muff 074-9384360
Newtowncunningham 074-9156386
Pettigo 071-9831521
Quigley’s Point 074-9383036
Ramelton 074-9151468
Raphoe 074-9145835
Rathmullan 074-9158416
St. Johnston 074-9148479
Stranorlar 074-9131344 / 074-9131023

Personal Assistant Service

The HSE will sometimes provide a Personal Assistant service for people with physical disabilities who are over the age of 18. Personal Assistants work practically with individuals with disabilities to enable access to the community and to increase the person’s ability to live independently in the community. The work the Personal Assistant does is led by the individual they are working with. Currently there is very little funding for the Personal Assistant service and it is becoming increasingly difficult to obtain access to the service. However, if you feel that you or a family member could benefit from this service you can contact your Local Health Office to see if the service is being provided in your area. Below is a link to the list of Local Health Offices in Ireland.


Supplementary Welfare

Supplementary welfare can be applied for by making an appointment to visit your community welfare officer during clinic times in your local office. You must attend the office which is closest to your home. Supplementary welfare includes exceptional needs payments, urgent needs payments, dietary needs payments, back to school clothing and footwear allowance, school meals programme, rent supplement, mortgage interest supplement, humanitarian assistance scheme and basic supplementary welfare allowance. *In the Ballybofey area if you are applying for rent supplement you must contact the Rent Unit for Ballybofey. All other types of supplementary welfare can be applied for in the main Ballybofey office.

List of local offices: www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/otheroffice/community-welfare-office-donegal.aspx


The housing department advises on and assists with queries on social and affordable housing, housing standards, rents, housing repairs etc. You can contact them using the below information. As there are a number of offices which deal with housing in Co. Donegal you should ring or email customer services, explain what your query is and they will redirect you to the appropriate housing office. The housing department also has an excellent website which contains a lot of useful information on housing.

Telephone: 074-9153900

Email: [email protected]

Website:  www.donegalcoco.ie/services/housing

If you are living in private rented accommodation you can contact Threshold or the Private Residential Tenancies Board (PRTB). Both bodies also have a helpful Frequently Asked Questions page on their websites.

Threshold – Frequently asked questions: www.threshold.ie/advice/

Phone number:  1890 334 334

Private Residential Tenancies Board – Frequently asked questions: www.prtb.ie/tenants/helpful-info

Phone number: 0818 30 30 37

Citizens Information

Citizens Information give free confidential and independent information on a range of issues including social welfare services, housing, health, family and relationships, education and employment. This information can be accessed online, on the telephone or in person at local centres across Co. Donegal. There is also a centre located in Our Lady’s Hospital, Crumlin which is open on Tuesday and Thursday mornings from 9:30am-12:30pm which might be helpful for you and your family.

Online: www.citizensinformation.ie

National Helpline: 076-1074000 (Monday to Friday, 9am to 8pm)

List of local centres: centres.citizensinformation.ie/county.php?county=donegal


The Money Advice and Budgeting Service can give you advice on how to handle the extra costs involved in caring for a child with EB. They have a national helpline which is open from Monday to Friday 9am to 8pm and they also have 3 local centres located in Letterkenny, Buncrana and Donegal Town.

Website: www.mabs.ie

National Helpline: 0761-072000

List of local centres: www.mabs.ie/contact-mabs/donegal/