Rainbow Services

The Rainbows programme supports children and young people affected by loss because of bereavement, separation or divorce. The service is available in local communities and selected schools throughout Ireland. The Rainbows programme may be running in your child’s school. If the programme is not running in your child’s school you can look for the list of community centres which are running the programme to find a suitable centre for your child to do the programme. Follow the link below and click on your area. Community centres are listed on the left and schools are listed on the right of the page.


Play Therapy

Play provides a way for children to express their experiences and feelings through a natural, self-guided, self-healing process. As children’s experiences and knowledge are often communicated through play, it becomes an important vehicle for them to know and accept themselves and others. Play therapy may be helpful for your child with EB or for their siblings. Play Therapy Ireland and the Irish Play Therapy Association can recommend a therapist in your area if you email them.

Play Therapy Ireland: [email protected]

Irish Play Therapy Association: [email protected]


There are several counsellors working in Co. Cork. You can find a counsellor who suits your needs and location by visiting the Irish Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (IACP) or the Irish Association of Humanistic and Integrative Psychotherapy (IAHIP) websites. Both websites provide a handy tool which helps you to find a therapist in your area and gives you details of the work which they do. You can also contact both bodies by telephone to enquire about local counsellors.


Website: www.iahip.org/find-a-therapist

Telephone: 01-2841665


Website: www.iacp.ie

Telephone: 01-2303536


Barnardos run Family Support Services such as parenting programmes, after school groups and family welfare conferences which offer all family members a chance to gather, discuss and make future plans to help your child. Barnardos offer advice and support in a non-judgemental way. You can refer your child yourself by contacting your local centre or you can ask your public health nurse or GP to refer your child. Contact your local service centre or visit Barnardos website for more information. Follow the link below to find your local service.

Website: www.barnardos.ie/contact/barnardos-service-centres-contact-details.html

Enable Ireland

Services are available to children living in Co. Cork who have a physical disability. Some children who have EB may benefit from this service. Children must be referred to the service by their GP, hospital consultant, public health nurse or parent/guardian. It is important to include as much information about your child’s condition as possible and to include any medical reports which have been written about your child when you are making a referral. For more information you can visit www.enableireland.ie or you can contact Enable Ireland in Cork.

Address: Enable Ireland, Lavanagh, Ballintemple, Co. Cork

Telephone: 021-4294803

Email: [email protected]

Community Health Centres

At your local community health centre, you can apply for services, meet your Public Health Nurse and find information about health and personal social services. The Public Health Nurse is an important person in providing care in the community for people with EB. In order to contact your Public Health Nurse contact your nearest centre and ask for the Public Health Nurse who covers your address.

Ballydesmond 064-51144
Buttevant 022-23388
Charleville 076-1084108/076-1084107
Doneraile 022-71040
Fermoy 025-49779
Glanworth 025-38111
Kanturk 029-20700/029-50182
Kilworth 025-27111
Kiskeam 029-50709
Mallow 022-58700
Millstreet 029-70142
Mitchelstown 025-52470
Newmarket 029-60532/029-60750
Rockchapel 029-69044
Ballymacoda 024-98301
Baile Bhuirne 026-45341
Ballingeary 026-20651
Blarney 021-4385220
Carrigtwohill 021-4883367
Castlemartyr 021-4667354
Cloyne 021-4652436
Cobh 021-4814314
Macroom 0761-084014
Midleton 021-4631436
Riverstown 021-4822307
Youghal 024-82512
Ballincollig 021-4872626
Ballinspittle 021-4778219
Bandon 023-8866925
Carrigaline 021-4372535
Crosshaven 021-4831062
Kinsale 021-4779801
Passage West 021-4841628
Shanbally 021-4378288
Bantry 027-55150
Bere Island 027-75003
Oileán Cléire 028-39109
Castletownbere 027-70353
Clonakilty 023-8832763
Dunmanway 023-8856158
Eyeries 027-74374
Goleen 028-35148
Leap 028-33255
Schull 028-28688
Skibbereen, Coolnagarrane 02840400

Personal Assistant Service

The HSE will sometimes provide a Personal Assistant service for people with physical disabilities who are over the age of 18. Personal Assistants work practically with individuals with disabilities to enable access to the community and to increase the person’s ability to live independently in the community. The work the Personal Assistant does is led by the individual they are working with. Currently there is very little funding for the Personal Assistant service and it is becoming increasingly difficult to obtain access to the service. However, if you feel that you or a family member could benefit from this service you can contact your Local Health Office to see if the service is being provided in your area. Below is a link to the list of Local Health Offices in Ireland.


Supplementary Welfare

Supplementary welfare can be applied for by making an appointment to visit your community welfare officer during clinic times in the below local offices. You must attend the office which is closest to your home. Supplementary welfare includes exceptional needs payments, urgent needs payments, dietary needs payments, back to school clothing and footwear allowance, school meals programme, rent supplement, mortgage interest supplement, humanitarian assistance scheme and basic supplementary welfare allowance.

List of local centres: www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/otheroffice/community-welfare-office-cork.aspx


The housing department advises on and assists with queries on social and affordable housing, housing standards, rents, housing repairs etc. You can contact them with your query using the below information. There are 3 divisions in Co. Cork depending on your location, north, south or west.

South Cork Division
Housing Department, County Hall, Cork
Phone Number: 021-4285215 / 021-4285332 / 021-4285327 / 021-4285354
Housing Repair Call line: 021-4285302

North Cork Division
Housing Department, William O’Brien Buildings, Annabella, Mallow, Co. Cork
Phone Number: 022-21123
Fax Number: 022-21983
Housing Repair Call line: 022-30469

West Cork Division
Housing Department, Kent Street, Clonakilty, Co. Cork
Phone Number: (023) 8833328
Housing Repair Call line: (023) 8863728

If you are living in private rented accommodation you can contact Threshold or the Private Residential Tenancies Board (PRTB). Both bodies also have a helpful Frequently Asked Questions page on their websites.

Threshold – Frequently asked questions: www.threshold.ie/advice/

Phone number:  1890 334 334

Private Residential Tenancies Board – Frequently asked questions: www.prtb.ie/tenants/helpful-info

Phone number: 0818 30 30 37

Citizens Information

Citizens Information give free confidential and independent information on a range of issues including social welfare services, housing, health, family and relationships, education and employment. This information can be accessed online, on the telephone or in person at local centres across the county. There is also a centre located in Our Lady’s Hospital, Crumlin which is open on Tuesday and Thursday mornings from 9:30am-12:30pm which might be helpful for you and your family.

Online: www.citizensinformation.ie

National Helpline: 076-1074000 (Monday to Friday, 9am to 8pm)

List of local centres: centres.citizensinformation.ie/county.php?county=cork


The Money Advice and Budgeting Service can give you advice on how to handle the extra costs involved in caring for a child with EB. They have a national helpline which is open from Monday to Friday 9am to 8pm and they also have 4 centres located around Co. Cork.

Website: www.mabs.ie

National Helpline: 0761-072000

List of local centres: www.mabs.ie/contact-mabs/cork/